AND RESEARCH OF CRAFTSMANSHIP
FROM SPAIN AND AMERICA
The Canarian Foundation: Center for Documentation and Research of Crafts in Spain and America is an organization for the promotion and conservation of Ibero-American handicrafts.
It was created in 1988, its founding patrons being the Ministry of Industry and Energy, the Spanish Agency for Ibero-American Cooperation, the V Centennial Commission and the Cabildo de Tenerife. Later, once the V Centennial Commission was extinct, this employer was replaced by the Ministry of Industry and Commerce of the Government of the Canary Islands. As of 2012, the Foundation merges with the Insular Company of Artesanía S.A.
It is located in the old convent of San Benito Abad, run by the order of the Dominicans from whom it took its name. The establishment of the friars in the Orotava, is due to the patronage of the Mesa family, who propitiate its location around 1592, with the cession of the Church and the adjacent lands for its construction in the street of Water, today Tomás Zerolo.